Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Swimming, Parks, and Russians

I'm a slacker when it comes to blogging..it's probably because I don't like writing in a journal or writing period! But really nothing too terribly exciting has been happening lately.I am still working at both jobs. Lately I've been only working maybe 25-30 hours a week altogether but it's nice to have a little break. On my days off I like to go hang out by the pool with the other wives and their kids if i don't have laundry, cleaning, cooking, or errands to run. One day a few weeks ago we went to the Virginia to hang out with some people from another office that's only like 20 or 30 minutes away. Their pool is bigger and deeper so the boys wanted to go mess around.

About $200 were thrown into the bottom of the pool for them to dive for. Adam got about $35. That's a lot of quarters!

A couple of times the managers will have a barbeque in the morning till about 1:00 in a park close by. They play football, baseball, or whatever they feel like doing. His manager bought a grill just for this purpose this summer. Can't complain!



Something else exciting is one of Adam's friends from Russia is here for the summer. He was in one of the branch's towards the beginning of his mission. His name is Volva (I'm sure I didn't even remotedly spell that right!) and he speaks really good English too. He is about 18 or 19. He was about 16 and just barely baptized when Adam met him. Adam is really surprised he stuck with the church. None of his family are members and were against the church and then no one in Russia period likes LDS people. He is a really good kid though. He is working in a Methodist summer camp about an hour and a half away from us. He was able to get last weekend off and come stay with us when we were here and then Volva also has a cousin that lives here that Adam knows from Russia also. While he was here I made that Pineapple Goo Cake from Paula Deen on Nat's recipe blog. It was SOO delicious and could easily be my new favorite dessert. Volva really liked it too. Before he left he said he would always remember that cake I made. Adam told me later that it must have been extremely good for him to be that impressed with it because most russians think they are a proffessional chef! So snaps for Nat for finding that awesome recipe :) If you want the recipe click HERE. Trust me..you want to try it! Anyways, since Volva was working at a Methodist camp he isn't able to go to church at all while he is here. So luckily he stayed with us Saturday night and we took him to church with us. Adam and I were teaching sharing time in primary that sunday also so he got to come watch that! He'd never seen the temple here either so since it's so convieniently right by our church we went and took some pictures!

Adam and Volva

Adam was really happy to see him. He didn't know whether he would ever see him again. It makes me feel really lucky to live in America. We have run into so many people from foreign countries that are coming over here to work a minimage wage (if that) job so they will have money to take back to their country with them because of how poor they are. Count our blessings!

Then last, but not least I was able to go home a towards the middle of June to see my family! I didn't really take any pictures with my camera because my dad took so many. I just have the one on the first day I got there with my Mom playing the piano to calm Ivy down. Sophie climbed up to hear her play too.



Definitely the best pictures from that week are of the loaf of bread incident with Sophie. Nat posted it on her blog along with some other posts from while I was there. Take a look HERE. Well I think that's about it. Hopefully I haven't forgotten anything too important :) We only have about a month and a half till we make the trip home. I can't wait to be back. I miss everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for the comments...I love you all :)